Tell us a bit about yourself and your background?
I’m a hard-core science nerd with a deep respect for the holistic approach to health and life. Believe it or not, there is a science to self-care! After earning my medical degree at Southern California School of Medicine and completing my residency at Cedar-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, California, I wanted to expand my knowledge beyond conventional medicine. In 2010 I graduated from California College of Ayurveda as a Clinical Ayurvedic Specialist, which has truly expanded and informed my practice of medicine. Being able to integrate this incredible ancient healing tradition has been a game changer and allowed me to go deeper into the study of health and healing. As more “natural” solutions, medicines, and technologies emerge in the global marketplace, I find myself referring back to Ayurveda - the original lifestyle medicine, which incorporates the mind, body, and spirit. At my practice, I’ve been able to build relationships with incredible women as I help guide them through the different phases of their life - from adolescence to menopause. Whether it’s sexual health, preparing for conception, pregnancy, childbirth, or postpartum, it’s important to empower yourself with an abundance of accurate and science-backed information.
For those who are more holistic or that can't or don't want to take hormones what are 5 things someone can do to help ease the symptoms that come along with menopause?
- SLEEP- I CANNOT EMPHASIZE THIS ENOUGH. OUR BODIES’ ABILITY TO RESTORE ITS VITAL FUNCTIONS, MAINTAIN FUNCTIONAL METABOLISM & MOOD ALL DEPENDS ON SLEEP.
- HERBS- Rhubarb, Black cohosh & chasteberry are 3 of my favorites for hot flashes.
- MOVEMENT AND WEIGHT BEARING exercise To STRENGTHEN BONES, increase flexibility and balance and INCREASE THE MUSCLE MASS to help METABOLIC RATE - you’ll burn calories more efficiently this way
- HYDRATION & OLEATION - applying and consuming healthy oils and fats is super important for healthy skin especially as we age. 90 seconds “self abhyanga” at the end of your shower is magical - use organic coconut oil or anything you like add a few drops of organic essential oils like lavender, clary sage citrus or rose
- FOR VAGINAL DRYNESS - try coconut oil but I don’t think it’s great as a line for sex.
What are your top 5 products you like (besides Seedlyfe of course) for this season of life and why?
- Cbd gold or cannapy health cbd gel caps or sublingual oil for sleep.
- Metagenics estrovera, vital nutrients vitex 750, remifemin block cohosh for hot flashes
- Lubes - uber lube, good clean love or sylk ( kiwi vine!)
- Vagina moisturizer - Try luvena - it’s ph balanced
- Foria cbd and thc vaginal products are incredible for re connecting to your sexual pleasure.
What happens to a women’s body after she goes through menopause?WHAT HAPPENS IS A 95% decline in estrogen production - this causes everything from vaginal changes, dryness and sexual pain to loss of elasticity and collagen in skin to hot flashes, sleep disturbance, irritability and sadness, loss of muscle mass and slower metabolism.
Can you tell us about the mona lisa laser and do you recommend it?
It’s a carbon dioxide laser that causes resurfacing and regrowth of a younger type vaginal lining that is more responsive and produces more natural lubrication. It can be an amazing option for the right person - it is not painful and requires no recovery although we do recommend not using your vagina for 48 hours after treatment (3- 5 minute treatments approx 4-6 weeks apart) BUT make sure the doc WHO performs it is a gynecologist - we know vaginas - other docs really don’t..
What's your favorite remedy for hot flashes?
Estrovera is my newer go to but truthfully estrogen is the most effective and safe for many individuals.
How long does menopause last for?
Menopause is defined (& is a retrospective diagnosis) as 12 months without a period when we know there is not another reason for this The TRANSITION can last 2-10 years - post Menopause is the rest of your life so let’s be educated and empowered!
If someone was wanting to get on hormones do you prefer bioidenticals or the other?I ALWAYS USE BIOIDENTICALS - THESE NEED NOT BE COMPOUNDED - many excellent BHRT products are FDA approved!
Are there any last minute thoughts?
#NormalizeMenopause. What That Means To Me Is Menopause Is A Privilege And A Blessing And We Should Stop Looking At It As A Dirty Word Something To Be Ashamed Of Or Something To Hide! DON’T FORGET THAT WHO YOU ARE IS DEFINED BY YOU - IF YOU ARE SUFFERING FROM A LOSS OF SELF WORTH BECAUSE WE WOMEN CAN BE SO NARROWLY DEFINED BY SOCIETY AS SEXUALLY VIABLE OR BOOT BY EXTERNAL FORCES - RECONNECT WITH OTHER WOMEN, do self care DAILY - mediation, breathwork, exercise AND COME TO A MENOPAUSE BOOTCAMP! Where we do a deep dive into all of this!
You can read more about Dr Suzanne check out thedrsuzanne.com and be sure to sign up for her insightful newsletter also follow her on instagram at @askdrsuzanne